It is nice to see everyone again, and I hope that you were lucky to spend Spring Break doing something interesting! I had out of town nephews come visit which was great. We took Alma and Evan (now 2 months) to see the please-don't-touch-the-legos at OMSI. Wow! That was amazing, but also, a bit stressful keeping two year old hands from touching lego sculptures at eye level. We spent lots of hours climbing and sliding and I even read a few pages of a book… for fun!
Ok, so on to the business at hand. I need to change expectations for these emails a bit and wanted to let you know what's going on in class.
"Almost Daily Email" becomes mostly daily but loses content
Today's assignment: complete 10.1 on p. 508: 1-35, 38-41
I'm sorry I haven't been able to send the same level of updates as I would like, I know that communication is important but at the moment I need to prioritize a bit. As always, if you have questions for me please feel free to send me an email.
- If you gathered up all the cell phones on earth that have ever been made, and put them into one giant conical pile, how would that pile compare to Mt. Hood?
- This questions involved a number of interesting estimations (the student considered the changing volume of cell phones through the years) the dimensions of the pile.
- What would it look like if I stored all the water that falls on my roof in a barrel next to my house?
- If all the CO2 in the atmosphere were to suddenly separate out of the atmosphere and form a sort of ring around the surface of the earth at sea-level, how thick would a typical person be able to breath fresh air when sitting, standing or sleeping?
- If all the air I breath today were to be compressed into a set of weights at the gym, could I bench press my breath? Could the average american? Could I bench press my breath for a week or a month?
Smarter Balanced testing will take place in math during May.