The side lengths from point A and B must meet at a point but if we let them swing, we will notice that the arc traced out by their endpoints only meet at one place (2 if we allow the reflection of this situation on the other side of segment AB)
And so all triangles constructed from those three lengths will be congruent to the triangle below.
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
- copy segment and angle
- bisect segment and angle
- construct a parallel line to a given line through a point not on the line
- construct a perpendicular line at a point on a line or construct a perpendicular to a line given a point not on the line
Assignment: Complete 7.3 Task + RSG
Monday, 17 April 2017
Students need to know how to construct regular hexagon, equilateral triangle given a circle. Also, constructing parallelograms, parallel lines, copy segments and angles, and various problems involving shapes and construction… e.g. Given a segment AB, find all points C such that triangle ABC is an equilateral triangle.
Friday, 14 April 2017
Assignment: Complete "Construction Problems 7.11" handout
Thursday's Assignment: Angles worksheets 2.5/2.6. Topic: angle names and relationships.
Extra help? As we study constructions, students will need to be able to complete a variety of constructions cleanly with compass and straight edge. If your student needs some extra help practicing constructions one nice resource is at math open ref. They have nice short animations of how to perform each construction and make it easier to practice.
Constructions game. Euclid the Game is another great way for students to practice/learn constructions.
Tuesday, 11 April 2017
Materials. All students will need their own compass. They will need these everyday for the remainder of the unit. Not having a compass will make them unable to participate or complete assignments.
If your student needs a compass, as of 2:29pm today, Office Depot on Cedar Hills Blvd has 22 in stock. This is the model I recommend.
Students need to take care to not break the metal tip off and not lose the plastic screw. If a metal tip breaks I can glue it back in fairly successfully. If they lose it, it can be replaced with the head of a nail.
Monday, 10 April 2017
Graded: Module 6 work. Students received their Module 6 Binder Check sheet back after the test with behavior scores for this unit. Feel free to check this with them this evening. Let me know if you have any questions.
Saturday, 8 April 2017
Wednesday, 5 April 2017
Tuesday, 4 April 2017
Reminder test on Friday students will need to be able to
- Perform reflections, rotations and translations.
- Identify sequence of transformations that map a given pre-image onto its image (play detective)
- Solve transformation problems with and without coordinate points (equation of lines)
- Use geometric vocabulary: chirality, orientation, preservation of angle measure/side length, n-fold reflection symmetry, n-fold rotational symmetry …
- Find missing side lengths in right triangles
- Answer questions about definitions and properties of triangles, quadrilaterals, and regular n-gons.