In class we solved a "smart pilot" problem in which we determine the proper bearing for a plane to take given the plane's airspeed, a wind vector and the distance and bearing between the origin and destination.
1) Chapter 8 Review on p. 483: complete 1-11
2) Graded Problem write-up
Smart Pilot, MYP Criteria D Problem Write Up
- Question: How would a pilot plot a rudimentary course between two points using trigonometry to determine the correct bearing and flight duration?
- Find two cities and determine the distance and bearing from one to the other (as the crow flies)
- Find the airspeed of a plane
- Find a wind speed and bearing that you think would be reasonable (may not be in a nice line with your plane)
- Determine the bearing which the pilot should follow, the duration of the flight
- Present your work and explanation [Graded on Criteria D] Due on Tuesday